Keyless Upper Expander Instructions
The purpose of an upper expander is to widen (expand) the palate (roof of the mouth). The custom-made appliance (Keyless Max 2000) is banded with 2 rings around the upper molars. Unlike traditional expanders, the keyless expander is activated by the type of wire and coils included in the design. During active expansion, the palate is widened through consistent light pressure. With the new keyless design, we achieve 6 months of expansion in only 4 months—without Mom or Dad needing to turn the expander with a key.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- A temporary lisp and/ or change in speech
- Excess saliva for a few days (you may notice some slurping)
- Difficulty swallowing at first (goes away after a day or less)
- A slight headache
- Some pressure on the back teeth, on the roof of the mouth, and nose area during placement of the expander
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR EXPANDER:
- Rinse/swish with water along with daily use of a Waterpik® to flush out food between the expander and the roof of your mouth.
- Brush with a toothbrush around the entire expander.
- Maintain a soft diet for the first few days.
- Avoid any sticky and hard foods that can dislodge the expander.